Wednesday, April 27, 2011

young & restless: grey matter turns to gold

In this society of instant gratification, the majority of us are impatient, demanding & spoiled.  Be it by the technology we are addicted to, the speed at which news (whether it is juicy gossip or that stuff that happens to people and countries and... stuff) travels, or the easily developed (and just as easily terminated) relationships we are involved in or witness to.  If my iPhone 4 takes more than a few seconds to load my facebook feed, I find myself letting out a sigh and tapping my fingers on the back of my overpriced phone. 


Not sure if you are restless and spoiled?  Ask yourself these questions:
-If my significant other takes over 2 minutes to respond to my text, do I resend? Twice? 
-If someone else knows about Britney's newest break-up before me, am I jealous? 
-If my significant other pisses me off, am I quick to tweet they're a douche & dump them?
-If my dinner takes more than 15 minutes to make, do I pop in a frozen dinner?


That all seems a bit on the negative side, though.  In fact, it doesn't even really seem like those are symptoms of restlessness... they more lean towards spoiled. I decided to ask a few people whose opinions truly matter, those that often have surprising insight.  (Here I must admit, it shouldn't be surprising after the months and years that I have known them, and for that I admit I am fortunate to know them and thank them for being them!)


A good friend of mine, when asked by me his take on restlessness, stated simply & truthfully, "Restlessness seems to be a form of inspiration to you in general, you should always remain restless!"  I like to think of myself as a relatively perceptive person when it comes to myself, though I will admit that my focus remains on others and their habits, but this stopped me in my immersed and focused tracks.  This is absolutely true! Being restless does not necessarily mean one is unhappy with their current circumstances, just that they are in need of enriching their lives even more.  


There is so much grey area with every topic nowadays: We are not limited to 'liberal' & 'conservative', we have 'moderate', amongst others. We are not limited to 'straight' & 'gay', we have 'bi', amongst others.  We are not limited to 'happy' & 'sad', we have countless emotionally-based adjectives.  The same can be said for the types of restlessness we encounter.   


I asked one of my dearest & most insightful friends his take on restlessness, doing my best not to try and predict his response. He stated, "Restlessness only occurs when you're waiting for something; so focus on the journey to attaining what you're wanting/waiting for. It's a positive sign, it's noble & worthy".  Another positive response from such a great mind.  I started thinking about how I am actually feeling when asked, "How are you?" and I respond, "Well, but restless..." I am in fact sans negative feelings.  I am quite happy, content even, with where I am in my life.  But am I satisfied?  Hell no.  Therein lies the difference, the definitive understanding muddled in all this grey matter: Being restless means I am wanting more, wanting to better myself, not settle for what I am currently experiencing... But that does not mean that I am ungrateful for that which fills the days of my life at this current time.  


Word of warning: We must be careful not to confuse the restlessness with boredom, apathy, frustration or indecisiveness!  Boredom is your own failure to recognize potential in your day & yourself.  Apathy is merely ungratefulness & laziness and, to quote a classic, the glove into which evil slips its hand (ok, Van Wilder isn't a classic per se, but it might be... one day...).  Frustration is, again, the failure to take advantage of potential, but also stifling yourself on a half dozen different levels!  The greatest of all these sins is indecisiveness.  It is the best way to lose a fantastic opportunity, the worst way to show someone that they are not a priority in your life, and a ridiculous way to live- allowing time and opportunities pass you by as though they are a renewable resource.  Restlessness does not embody any of these, and recognizing that is the first step to identifying your source of restlessness.  Those who confuse their restlessness with these or any other negative emotion are not connected with their true self, nor their emotions.  I hope this encourages us all to reevaluate our current situations and our honest levels of contentment and progress.  I look forward to this part of my journey... and remaining restless. 


Restlessness is discontent and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure. -Thomas Edison


xx.a

2 comments:

  1. Amie
    I am old & restless (67). Loved your blog! My health is still good and I am continuing to progress through my restlessness, and probably will be until my last days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earl,
    I am thrilled that you found enjoyment in my ramblings! I hope to see more comments from you in the future... And know, dear Earl, that 67 is not old, but wise & experienced with time to spread the love!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete